Hacking as a Career
Every one of us one or the other way knows about Hacking but very few of us see this as a potential career option. In today's world with the growing spectrum of World Wide Web the need for someone who can manage and analyze the security part is also growing.
Ethical Hackers are the good guys of Hacking, they are the people who are hired and paid to make sure that there is no security loophole in a particular Web Application, they try to break the security and penetrate into the application so that they can find out even the least possibility of it getting hacked. Both Black Hat and White Hat (Ethical Hacker) hacker does the same thing but the latter one does it with permission and with a more constructive intention.
There is a huge scope in this field of security but most of us are just unaware of it due to the standard career options imposed on us by the society, also a very large number of people still believes that Ethical Hacking is Illegal!
Certified Ethical Hacker Salary
If you are passionate about Ethical Hacking and wants to make a career in it the best option to go with is to have a Certification in Ethical Hacking by EC-Council for which you to give this CEH exam.
Here are some of the key skills and knowledge areas covered in the CEH exam Certified Ethical Hackers…
- possess a strong background knowledge of networking, telecommunications, web and computer systems.
- understand the current security protocols for popular operating environments, e.g., Linux, Windows & Mac OS.
- "hack" into an organization's network/systems – with its permission – to assess weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
- undertake preventive, corrective and protective countermeasures to safeguard systems against malicious attack.
- have the ability to identify and crack multiple types of passwords, and effectively counter password attacks.
- comprehend the terminology, stages, classes, phases and methodologies of ethical hacking.
- can cover their tracks and erase digital evidence of networks and system intrusions.
- understand cryptography & encryption techniques, and private/public key infrastructure.
- adhere to a code of ethics governing professional conduct & the appropriateness of hacking.
- understand common cyber attacks, e.g., social engineering, phishing, identity theft, URL obfuscation, trojans, dumpster diving, insider attacks, etc., and can undertake the appropriate evasion techniques and countermeasures. (Source: Itcareerfinder.com)
Salaries for Certified Ethical Hackers and other EC-Council certified professionals:
- ENSA: Network Security Administrator: $85,000
- CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker: $89,000
- ECSA: Certified Security Analyst: $90,000
- LPT: Licensed Penetration Tester: $92,000
- CHFI: Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator: $96,000
Salary by EC-Council Certification (USA)(Source: Payscale.com)
Government and Intelligence agencies
There is a huge demand for security professionals and ethical hackers in Government and Intelligence agencies. They need them for both attack and defense. So if you are someone who is interested in both attacking and defending this must be the suitable career option for you. According to Chackreview.com: "The salaries of ethical hackers tend to be nearly 20 to 30% more than the salaries earned by professional in other positions at the same level in other IT fields. A beginner in the field of ethical hacking may get a salary package of about INR 3 to 6 Lacs per annum with a government organization. However, the pay can rise substantially with better academic qualification, certifications, and work experience. Some ethical hackers tend to earn INR 30 Lacs per annum"
Finding bugs and giving a patch to them is one of the most basic things in Ethical Hacking and if you are someone who loves doing that, then Bug Bounties is the best option to go with. You can find a Comprehensive and up to date list of bug bounty and disclosure programs from across the web curated by the Bugcrowd researcher community here: https://www.bugcrowd.com/bug-bounty-list/
Other Ethical Hacker Jobs
CEH certified professionals may qualify for a range of lucrative security positions including:
- IT Security Specialist
- Network Security Specialist
- Security Administrator
- IT Security Consultant
- Ethical Hacker
- Penetration Tester
- Site Administrator
- IT Auditor
- Computer Forensics Analyst
- Homeland Security Specialist
- Businesses & Hiring Managers
So as you can see now that Ethical Hackers are getting paid a good amount of money, you can realize that there is a huge scope in it and it can be considered as a potential Career Option!